Understanding tyre markings
Reading the sidewalls of a tyre
Learn to decipher the markings found on the sidewalls of your tyres.
VF = Very High Flexion: Prefix designating a standardised tyre category
650: Nominal section width in mm
60: Aspect ratio (sidewall height/nominal section of the tyre) as a %
R: Structure: "R" for radial "-" for bias
38: Nominal diameter of the rim in inches
155: Standardised load index
D: Standardised speed rating
Radial: Construction type
Tubeless: Tyre without inner tube
Michelin® X®: Trademark
edito tyre marking help and advice
picto tyre dimensions help and advice
Tyre and rim dimensions
S: Section width of the tyre
R’: Radius under static load
R: Radius without load
D: External diameter, equal to 2 x R
Ø: Diameter of the rim
F: Internal width
H: Section height
The 42" series and its 38" equivalent
picto tyre markings 4 help and advice
Other help and advice pages that might interest you:
• How can you reduce soil compaction?
• Why and how should you ballast your tyres to get the most out of them?
• How do you fit and remove tyres?
• How do you find the right references for rims, tubes and valves?
• How do you store tyres safely?
• Road vehicle regulations